Reporting to The Vice President of Production, the Base Camp Manager is mainly responsible for leading and assisting in a variety of Spartan Race organization duties, including shipping and receiving, unloading and loading trucks, fulfilling maintenance and orders, and keeping base camp workshop stocked with essential and operational equipment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate inbound & outbound travel with the Base Camp Director
- Receive & QC trucks and unload materials
- Stack obstacle packages ready for deployment
- Stock base camp with tools and prepare obstacle construction packages
- Ensure machinery is serviced and functional
- Check in merchandise and confirm order, match orders, and track distribution to team (whiteboard & google doc.)
- Fulfill build crew service requests
- Manage transfer of materials while inventorying from trailer and base-camp to build and festival team
- Submit work orders and requests for materials, tools, and other stock items
- Coordinate outgoing LTL shipments with SR Procurement department
- Record amounts of materials or items received in load and populate inventory documents
- Perform facilities & equipment maintenance
- Sort material according to shipment, type, and department while identify damage, loss, or surplus of goods and materials. Then report this to BD in nightly reports
- Maintain records of all activities and processes pertaining to basecamp & trailers
- Delegate duties in conjunction with on-site foreman as necessary (Cleaning vehicles/basecamp upkeep/trash/vehicle maintenance/ etc.)
- Oversee preparing radios and PPE for inbound staff. Reconcile radios and maintain log and carry out tasks assigned by the Build Director.
- Frequently communicates with Spartan Race employees and volunteers and therefore must be able to provide direction and exchange accurate information.
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not restrict other tasks that may be assigned.
- Compliance and completion of all safety training.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Willingness and ability to travel 11+ days at a time with approximately 100% travel.
- Frequently works 10-15+ hour days in outdoor, adverse conditions for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrate full range of movement including but not limited to lifting, standing, bending, reaching, twisting, and crawling.
- Occasionally lifts, pushes, pulls, and moves equipment and material weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Be able to arrive 2 weeks prior to the event and depart 3 days after – first-in/last out.
- Possess excellent mechanical skills
- Have experience as a dock or warehouse supervisor with shipping and receiving department experience
- Work efficiently in a fast paced every changing environment
- Must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- Have a proven attention to detail yet the ability to manage from a high level and often change from one task to another of a different nature.
- Have excellent problem solving skills
Qualities required of all Spartan team members:
Spartan Race is a high-performance organization, and successful team members must therefore possess a strong work ethic and hands-on approach to business. We are innovative, create inventive solutions, and are exceptionally service minded. Team members at Spartan change lives, and have a passion for the organization. Paramount to our organization is the maturity to embrace ambiguity and ability to adapt according to the market and the continuing innovation of the organization.
- Ability to hold one-self accountable and an aptitude for prioritizing multiple projects
- Strong sense of teamwork with the ability to foster relationships
- Proactive, solutions-oriented; capability to identify efficiencies and decrease costs while maintaining a quality workplace environment and product
- Collegial approach to a business environment and cooperative work style
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills