NOTE: Incumbent can reside anywhere in the country, but must be willing to travel extensively for Stadium Events.
Crew Leaders are responsible for building and assembling obstacles on the race course and in the festival area at various events throughout the country. The Crew Leader’s primary role is to ensure obstacles are constructed to the highest standards while completing tasks in a timely fashion. Build crews are comprised of Spartan staff, local labor, and volunteers, many of whom have little to no experience. Crew Leaders are required to educate and manage a team of new support staff daily. Successful execution of the build week relies heavily on the Crew Leader’s knowledge of the build process, ability to communicate with individuals coming from various backgrounds, and unwavering attention to detail. Crew Leaders play a key role in creating an outstanding experience for the many volunteers that make event production possible.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee a team of Spartan staff, local labor, and volunteers in order to construct or assemble obstacles according to Spartan specifications.
- Instruct inexperienced team members concerning assembly process.
- Ensure crew completes tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Assist in the load-in/load-out phases of event production.
- Load/unload trailers using heavy equipment.
- Operate basic heavy equipment in the process of obstacle construction.
- Proactively address issues as they arise in order to complete assignment within preset timeframe.
- Work in poor weather, long hours, and fast-paced challenging conditions.
- Oversee a zone on race course consisting of several obstacles and aid stations.
- Instruct volunteers concerning proper enforcement of obstacle rules.
- Provide support for volunteers in the form of education, food, and any assistance necessary.
- Proactively address and solve problems as they arise.
- Serve as a positive representative of Spartan Race Inc.
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Compliance and completion of all safety training.
- Communicate and speak effectively before groups of volunteers, contractors, or employees.
- Minimum three years of experience in the construction industry.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measuring using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Hands on experience building houses, decks, cabinetry, working with truss or scaffolding, etc.
- Experience overseeing and managing crews.
- Basic computer skills, i.e. Excel, Google Docs, email, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of volunteers, contractors, and employees (read and speak conversational English).
- Willingness and ability to travel 11+ days at a time.
- Frequently works 10-15+ hour days in outdoor, adverse conditions for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrate full range of movement including but not limited to lifting, standing, bending, reaching, twisting, and crawling.
- Occasionally lifts, pushes, pulls, and moves equipment and material weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- Possess a valid driver’s license without restrictions; clean driving record.
- Experience operating heavy equipment preferred but not mandatory.
- Occasionally climb ladders and work off elevated surfaces as well as climb up onto and down from equipment.
Qualities required of all Spartan team members:
Spartan Race is a high-performance organization, and successful team members must therefore possess a strong work ethic and hands-on approach to business. We are innovative, create inventive solutions, and are exceptionally service minded. Team members at Spartan change lives, and have a passion for the organization. Paramount to our organization is the maturity to embrace ambiguity and ability to adapt according to the market and the continuing innovation of the organization.
- Ability to hold one-self accountable and an aptitude for prioritizing multiple projects
- Strong sense of teamwork with the ability to foster relationships
- Proactive, solutions-oriented; capability to identify efficiencies and decrease costs while maintaining a quality workplace environment and product
- Collegial approach to a business environment and cooperative work style
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills