Job Title: Customer Service Manager
Reports to: District Manager
Classification: Non-exempt, hourly
About the Company
We believe yoga is for everybody and it is our mission to help people lead healthier lives by helping people connect their minds and their bodies to center themselves and achieve a sense of calm. Our highly trained, passionate teachers make yoga accessible to people of all ages and abilities in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment that is community-oriented. Our first studio opened 30 years ago and we now operate 60+ studios with aggressive plans to continue rapid expansion fueled primarily through acquisitions. To help fund our growth, this past summer, we completed an initial public offering and are the first yoga instruction to be publicly traded (NASDAQ: YOGA). We are a people-oriented business and employ over 2,000 employees who collectively deliver our amazing service 365 days per year. Our studios are supported by regional and corporate teams to assist studio personnel to deliver an authentic, high quality experience along with important local sales and marketing efforts that help drive differentiation and profitability.
About the Role
The Customer Service Manager is responsible for helping to run a successful and profitable studio (studios are typically open every day and often for 12-15 hours/day). With the assistance and guidance of a Studio Manager or Regional Manager, the Customer Service Manager helps oversee staff, customer service, sales and operations. The successful candidate must enjoy being involved with customers, must enjoy sales/selling and must love what they do which is helping people reach their personal goals through yoga.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Sales and Marketing
- Be knowledgeable about our products/programs, competitive products/programs and pricing to actively promote and sell ours
- Responsible for generating leads, soliciting referrals and meeting individual monthly sales goals (revenue and units) and helping team meet its goals for a combined studio goal. Sales includes class packs/memberships, retail, and ancillary products as outlined each year
- Maintain accurate, thorough and timely data/information in all appropriate systems for reporting and statistical purposes
- Effectively market and sell our products via telephone, grassroots efforts, in studio tours, etc, filling out all paperwork, trackers and forms as appropriate.
- Motivate, guide and lead team to meet and exceed sales goals (daily, monthly, quarterly, annually) which includes the execution of contracts, processing of credit card payments, cash deposits, software systems/processes, etc
- While not responsible for hiring or terminating employees, assist in interviewing candidates based on direction of Studio Manager and/or Regional Manager as appropriate and inform Supervisor of any issues to effectively resolve
- Insure all compliance and company policies are being met/enforced
Student Interaction/Customer Service
- Actively assist existing and new students in finding appropriate classes to meet their personal goals and within schedules, answering their questions (or find the answers to questions if not known), always offering support and guidance
- Welcome all visitors according to our Customer Service standards; answer telephone promptly and courteously
- Check students into class/workshop/etc through software system (MindyBody Online or equivalent systems) when needed, • completing all paperwork/forms as appropriate
- Handle billing issues (contracts, cancellations, freezes, failed credit cards, etc)
- Resolve Customer Service issues per training documents and procedures, checking with Supervisor when issues arise outside of current training guidelines
- Responsible for scheduling and overseeing the pilates and yoga privates program
- Responsible for updating MBO system with teacher subs/class changes in a timely manner
- Responsible for recommending ordering of supplies and working with vendors
- Keep common areas neat and clean for both appearances and well as for safety reasons: prepare tea area, clean studio rooms, empty trash and tidy props between classes efficiently and quickly
- Work with studio staff to support the financial goals and operational needs of the studio
- Report any issues per our procedures
- Keep the retail area looking great which includes keeping area neat and tidy but also re-merchandising products to attract customer’s attention. Receive and transfer merchandise as appropriate. Pro-actively watch for theft to avoid shrinkage
- Follows and upholds Employee Handbook and all other guidelines including but not limited to: Customer Service Guidelines, Dress Code Guidelines, Core Values, etc.
- Any other tasks required to help company meet its goals
Qualifications and Experience
- Two (2) years of sales experience with proven track record of exceeding sales goals
- Proven experience in generating and following up on leads
- Experience supervising people successfully
- Effective use of budgets, forecasts, P&Ls, metrics
- Experience working in retail and/or yoga/gym industry a plus
- High school degree, college degree preferred
- Strong team player who understands corporate goals and can apply those to studio goals, motivating employees to reach individual and team goals within given timelines and constraints.
- Highly energetic, positive and enthusiastic leader with strong interpersonal skills to effectively lead the team to meet goals.
- Ability to multi-task and function in a fast-paced environment, often with changing priorities given needs of students, business and management.
- Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects with different budgets, vendors and timelines.
- Comfortable and effective in a sales role with sales and call volume goals which also requires listening to clients, positioning products and asking for the sale with confidence and enthusiasm
- Dependable and accountable with strong sense of urgency
- Experience resolving employee and/or customer conflicts in a positive, professional and timely manner such that even difficult news is delivered in a way that people may not like but understand the reason behind it and appreciate the professional and courteous delivery
- Self-starter who also has a flexible schedule and strong work ethic to manage a studio that is open 365 days/year, often 12-15 hours/day
- Must be customer focused and deliver company’s high level of customer service at all times in a professional, courteous, sensitive and friendly manner.
- Ability to lead by example and stay calm at all times, acting/speaking respectfully, appropriately and courteously with customers and/or employees who may become angry or raise their voices.
- Strong written and verbal skills and ability to tailor communications based on audience and needs of business for both short and long-term results
- Passion for the product we sell (i.e. yoga/fitness) and ability to understand and clearly communicate the different products/programs we offer.
- Comfortable with computers and effective at learning and using the necessary software products (i.e. Mind Body Online, email, Google documents, spreadsheets,etc)
This position may help supervise studio staff but hiring/firing responsibilities as well as performance reviews are handled by Studio Manager and/or Regional Manager as appropriate
This position works in studios. Not all locations have elevators or offer physically-disabled access. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week including nights and weekends, especially during peak activity periods.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for up to 4 hours at a time; use hands to finger, handle, reach or feel and talk or hear. The employee is sometimes required to bend, lift and occasionally carry items up to 20 pounds. This job often requires climbing staircases as elevators are not present at all locations.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and ability to adjust and focus.
- Must be able to hear and speak effectively in English.