Job Title: District Manager
Reports to: Regional Development Director
About the Company
We believe yoga is for everybody and it is our mission to help people lead healthier lives by helping people connect their minds and their bodies to center themselves and achieve a sense of calm. Our highly trained, passionate teachers and staff make yoga accessible to people of all ages and abilities in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment that is community-oriented. Our first studio opened 30 years ago and we are expanding, primarily through the acquisition of new studios. To help fund our growth, we completed an initial public offering and are the first yoga instruction to be publicly traded (NASDAQ: YOGA). We are a people-oriented business and offer students an amazing service year-round. Corporate and regional teams support our studio teams who both deliver our unique, authentic, high quality experience and drive the important sales and marketing efforts that build our local communities. Additional programming of workshops, teacher training and our online video subscription service, MyYogaWorks.com, round out our offering.
About the Role
The District Manager is responsible for running multiple successful and profitable studios in geographic region. The District Manager does it all from overseeing studio personnel and leading all sales and marketing efforts to making sure that the operations are running effectively and efficiently. The successful candidate must enjoy being involved with customers, must enjoy sales/selling and must love what they do which is helping people reach their personal goals through yoga. Overall, this person must have a strong sense of ownership and involvement to make the studio profitable each month per company goals.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Sales, Marketing and Financials
- Responsible for P&L of all studios in region
- Responsible for communicating goals and ensuring staff meets its goals through effective, professional and appropriate leadership
- Motivate, guide and lead team to meet and exceed sales goals (daily, monthly, quarterly, annually) which includes the execution of contracts, processing of credit card payments, cash deposits, etc Must also meet or exceed profit goals by strong operational procedures and cost containment.
- Be knowledgeable about our products/programs, competitive products/programs along with pricing to actively promote and sell ours for both great customer service but also to coach and lead staff to do the same
- Maintain accurate, thorough and timely data/information in all appropriate systems for reporting and statistical purposes and provide quantitative and qualitative feedback as requested and insure staff is following similar procedures
- Take leadership role in effectively and aggressively marketing and selling our products and building a community via telephone, grassroots efforts/events, in-studio tours, etc.
- Collaborate with Home Office to share best practices and elevate overall studio system within existing studios as well as collaborating with Home Office on additional viable locations for incremental revenue.
- Set yearly budget and aggressively monitor sales and costs to maximize profits
Student Interaction/Customer Service
- Actively assist existing and new students in finding appropriate classes to meet their personal goals and within schedules
- Welcome all visitors according to our customer service standards and make sure all personnel are delivering same high quality level of yoga and customer service
- Handle all escalating customer service related issues effectively, balancing studio policies with strong customer service.
- Check students into class/workshop/etc through software system (MindyBody Online or equivalent systems) when needed
- Assist students by guiding them through our programs and answering their questions (or find the answers to questions if not known), always offering support and guidance
- Answer telephone promptly and courteously
- Have students complete all paperwork/forms as appropriate
- Insure existing studios are regularly taking classes to reduce attrition and encourage a healthier lifestyle to meet personal goals
- Actively promote retail items and make recommendations
- Work with Human Resources and Studio Managers to recruit, interview, hire and terminate as per our policies and procedures
- Train, coach and mentor staff to onboard new hires and elevate existing staff to reach higher performance goals, noting both strong performances and performance deficiencies as appropriate
- Lead and train on software systems and make sure everyone is able to effectively and efficiently use systems to track customers and results
- Organize and lead weekly, monthly and as-needed staff meetings
- Insure all compliance and company policies are being met/enforce
- Work with Retail Department to determine appropriate mix of products and merchandising for effective sell-through at high margins. Make sure staff follows retail procedures
- Work closely with Teacher Management staff to help program best class schedule to maximize capacity and meet the needs of the students(applies to all classes as well as to privates).
- Work with Teacher Training/Workshop staff to encourage awareness and sales of products
- Work with MyYogaWorks team to effectively sell online products and provide a strong/positive customer experience.
- Make sure studios are in commercially viable working order, functioning properly/safely and providing appropriate maintenance and cleaning as per standard, processes and procedures.
- Keep common areas neat and clean for both appearances and well as for safety reasons: clean studio rooms, empty trash and tidy props between classes efficiently and quickly
- Make sure staff is trained on all policies, procedures and operational processes and properly reports/documents any issues per our procedures
- Oversee retail operations to make sure products is properly tagged, merchandised and reported
- Any other tasks required to help company meet its goals
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years in a supervisory role with proven track record leading and developing staff toward common goals in a sales/marketing driven environment
- Experience effectively managing and growing businesses/P&Ls
- Experience working in retail and/or yoga/gym/health industry a plus
- Highly energetic, positive and enthusiastic team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task and function in a fast-paced environment, often with changing priorities given students entering and exiting the studios at similar times.
- Passion for the product we sell (i.e. yoga/fitness) and ability to understand and clearly communicate the different products/programs we offer.
- Must be customer focused and deliver company’s high level of customer service at all times in a professional, courteous, sensitive and friendly manner.
- Ability to stay calm at all times and act respectfully and professionally, even with customers who may become angry or raise their voices.
- Dependable, accountable and responsible with excellent attendance and punctuality
- Experience resolving employee and/or customer conflicts – a proactive problem solver
- Self starter who is self motivated and detail oriented
- Flexible schedule with strong work ethic to manage a studio that is open 365 days/year, often 12-15 hours/day
- Strong writing and verbal skills
- Able to use computers and effectively use software systems
This position directly supervises Studio Managers and Assistant Managers but may also need to help with all staff personnel (Greeters, Yoga Advisors) as well as be the liaison with external vendors. S/he is responsible for hiring, training, mentoring employees.
This job operates primarily in a yoga studio but will also include selling and marketing in the local community. Not all locations have elevators or offer physically-disabled access. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week including nights and weekends, especially during peak activity periods.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for up to 4 hours at a time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to bend and carry files/products/boxes in order to organize as well as prepare for meetings and events. This job requires the person to climb up and down flights of stairs as elevators are not present at all locations. May be asked to occasionally lift a box of up to 10 pound or load a ream of paper into the copier which requires lifting and/or bending.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust and focus.
YogaWorks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, YogaWorks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience effectively managing and growing businesses/P&Ls
3 years: Experience in a supervisory role with proven track record leading and developing staff toward common goals in a sales/marketing driven environment