GENERAL SUMMARY: The General Manager (GM) has overall responsibility for effectively managing all membership, fitness, and operational functions within the gym to achieve financial success and provide the best member and team member experience. The GM recruits, hires, trains and develops a diverse, high performance team that delivers on UFC Gym goals and reflects its values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1. Staffing & Development
- Recruit, interview, & hire department managers, supervisors, and front line team members, reflecting the diversity and culture(s) of the community.
- Provide consistent accountability for direct reports and dotted line reports through training, coaching, conducting planning sessions, and performance reviews.
- Provides input on final approval on the hiring, dismissal, discipline of all gym employees with support from the VPs.
- Provides ongoing team member training & development in order to engage and retain team members.
- Provides developmental coaching and guidance for long-term career growth opportunities to all direct reports.
- Conducts regular team member meetings with direct reports to review performance and offer direction, motivation and guidance toward achieving individual and company goals.
- Provides positive working conditions for team members and appropriate leadership, supervision, support, and feedback.
- Maintain a fully engaged and high performing team that aligns with company values and goals.
2. Sales Execution on Key Metrics & Drivers, thus Results
- High percentage of the GM’s time will be on ensuring Membership execution on lead, appointment setting, and guest goal in order to hit financial targets set forth by the company.
- GM is responsible for on-going training on hitting 50% of guest conversion, 40% Ultimate Mix, and 25% attachment of point of sale private coaching to new member sales.
- Accountability & Performance Management is an integral component of GM leadership in order to execute on monthly sales metrics and drivers. Proper documentation is expected using company HR forms and sent into VP of Sales and HR.
- Personal Production is a key component of the GM’s responsibility in order to ensure that the membership department hits their monthly targets in New Member Sales, Electronic Funds Transfer, and Point of Sale Private Coaching goals. There is a minimum goal by gym, but the GM must write the difference between the membership team performance and monthly goals.
- Participate and provide gym specific input into the development of the gym financial, expense, and operating plan.
- Develop monthly membership, fitness, and operation plans to deliver financial and retention goals with contribution by department heads and VPs.
- With collaboration of department heads and VPs, establish priorities and goals, including revenue goals and labor targets for the gym. Identify and plan execution of improvement in the gym.
- Work with Operations Manager and VP of Operations to supervise and set priorities and goals directly with the Facilities Technician to deliver a great member experience.
- Provide input and report monthly results to the VP of Sales regarding the gym financials.
4. Guest Experience/Team Member Experience (General Management)
- Establish a fun, safe, healthy, and community-focused gym culture that delivers high member satisfaction and achieves maximum profitability with the support of department heads.
- Ensures safety of employees, members and gym property.
- Be a role model for member service behavior by walking through gym and collecting member feedback to identify training and development opportunities for team members.
- Resolve elevated gym member concerns; conduct on-the-spot coaching to prevent them from reoccurring.
- Monitor gym appearance and ensure problems are resolved in a timely manner.
- Perform regular reviews, edits and overtime approval in the Company’s Time & Labor system with assistance from department heads.
- Ensure company policies, procedures, programs and promotions are efficiently executed.
ORGANIZATION RELATIONSHIPS: The UFC Gym General Manager reports directly to the VP of Sales with a dotted line reporting structure to the VP of Operations and VP of Fitness. The Assistant Manager and Membership Specialists report directly to the General Manager. The Operations Manager and Fitness Director have a dotted line reporting structure to the General Manager with a direct report into the VP of Operations and VP of Fitness respectively.
1) Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Experience managing reports, budgeting, revenue, payroll, and/or demonstrated math analytical / ratio skills knowledge of fitness industry.
- Experience with basic computer skills like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Documents, and PowerPoint.
- Strong and proven leadership, communication, time management, and analytical abilities and skills.
- Strong organizational skills and customer service orientation with proven results.
2) Minimum certifications/educational level
- High School Diploma or GED required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
3) Minimum experience
- 2-3 years of progressive management experience supervising 3-10 employees.
- 3-5 years of sales or related experience.
4) Physical Requirements
- Must be able to lift 50-120 lbs., stand for up to 8-12 hours.
- Must have adequate transportation to and from work, to scheduled meetings, and/or to networking events.