GENERAL SUMMARY: The UFC GYM Group Fitness Area Manager is responsible for the growth and success of the Group Fitness (Group Fit) programs within the club(s) they oversee. The goal of this position is to grow and retain member participation and enhance member experience at the gym. Group Fitness Area Managers oversee 2 or more locations and/or assist the National Director of Group Fitness regionally. Group Fitness Area Managers are required to manage all aspects of the department including but not limited to scheduling, ensuring instructor/class quality, budgeting, hiring, providing instructors with feedback and determining equipment needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Develop Effective Programming
- Build a robust group exercise schedule that appeals to the club population, with a focus on innovative and in-demand classes.
- Identify new formats/classes that would be effective for the assigned club or market.
- Plan and successfully launch new formats (as approved by the Director of Group Fitness).
- Teach masterclass and train GFI’s in new formats.
- Partner with club management and offer input regarding the overall scheduling in each club. Large schedule restructures must be approved by the Director of Group Fitness.
- Increase year-over-year average class size and participation.
- Deliver on strategic Group Fit department objectives.
- Timely reporting of all monthly KPI’s.
Build and Develop of Team of Group Fit Instructors
- Hold quarterly talent searches for new Group Fit Instructors.
- Follow audition expectations for all new hires. Audition and interview by Group Fit Manager is mandatory on new hires.
- Recruit, hire, develop and manage high quality Group Fit Instructors for the club. Coach, discipline and recommend termination as needed.
- Communicate with instructors, either one-on-one or by group to ensure alignment with company and/or club initiatives.
- Provide coaching feedback to instructors during Bi-annual QC evaluations of all GFI.
Manage Group Fit Budget
- Operate the Group Fit program within established monthly labor budget.
- Approve time punches and ensure consistent practice and compliance of UFC GYM’s Time and Attendance policies and procedures.
- Maintain clean, neat and safe studios and ensure group exercise equipment are well-maintained. Communicate any group fitness equipment needs.
Improving Member Experience
- Successfully plan and roll-out company approved Group Fit events.
- Address and resolve group fit member concerns within 24-48 hours. Partner with club General Manager, as needed.
- Support club programs on best F.I.T. (Format, Instructor, Time).
- Solicit class evaluations from members.
- Create, promote and staff group fit special events.
- Build long term member participation and retention.
- Attend conference calls, meetings, continuing education classes and conferences, as required.
- Teach a group fitness class a minimum of 4 classes per week.
- Plan and develop routines, choose appropriate music and choreograph different movements fitting for each class.
- Lead and instruct group exercise format according to class schedule and adhering to company standard.
- Greet participants and orient them to class.
- Explain and enforce safety rules and proper usage of exercise equipment used during the class.
- Arrive on time to prep, set-up and greet participants and store all equipment neatly and appropriately after class.
- Motivate participants and provide instruction in maintaining exertion levels in order to maximize benefits from the exercise routines.
- Monitor participation and make necessary adjustments when necessary.
ORGANIZATION RELATIONSHIPS: The Group Fitness Area Manager reports to the Director of Group Fitness. This position may interact with all levels of management and staff within Corporate and Field offices, in the clubs, and within the Group Fitness team.
1) Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Previous experience teaching group fitness classes
- Able to build rapport and loyalty with club members
- Able to lead and communicate performance expectations and provide feedback to staff
- Able to resolve member problems and concerns effectively and professionally
- Able to work professionally, collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Practical and technical knowledge of group fitness
- Possess strong verbal, written and presentation skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Club Ready software
- Current CPR/AED certification
2) Minimum certifications/educational level:
- Current Group Fitness approved certification preferred
- Additional training in specialty formats may be required
3) Physical Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand.
- Physical effort required for daily duties include lifting heavy weights, squatting, bending, reaching, spotting, and prolonged standing and walking. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 45+ lbs