Job Title: Membership Yoga Advisor
Reports to: Studio Manager
Classification: Non-exempt, hourly
About the Company
We believe yoga is for everybody and it is our mission to help people lead healthier lives by helping people connect their minds and their bodies to center themselves and achieve a sense of calm. Our highly trained, passionate teachers make yoga accessible to people of all ages and abilities in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment that is community-oriented. Our first studio opened 30 years ago and we now operate 60+ studios on the east and west coasts and have aggressive plans to continue rapid expansion fueled primarily through acquisitions. To help fund our growth, this past summer, we completed an initial public offering and are the first yoga instruction to be publicly traded (NASDAQ: YOGA). We are a people-oriented business and employ over 2,000 employees who collectively deliver our amazing service 365 days per year. Our studios are supported by regional and corporate teams to assist studio personnel to deliver an authentic, high quality experience along with important local sales and marketing efforts that help drive differentiation and profitability.
About the Role
The Yoga Advisor is a key person of the studio team who helps welcome students and also promotes and sells YogaWorks products (e.g. memberships) to yoga students. To be effective, the Yoga Advisor has to generate leads and build relationships with the community to drive customers to the studio. The Yoga Advisor also plays a key role in making sure students find the right schedule of classes that meet their needs so as to encourage a steady yoga practice. The successful candidate must love being involved with customers and must love sales.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Customer Service
- Actively assist existing and new students in finding appropriate classes to meet their personal goals
- Welcome all visitors according to our Customer Service standards
- Check students into class/workshop/etc through software system (MindyBody Online or equivalent systems) when needed
- Assist students by guiding them through our programs and answering their questions (or find the answers to questions if not known), always offering support and guidance
- Answer telephone promptly and courteously
- Have students complete all paperwork/forms as appropriate
- Actively promote retail items and make recommendations
- Sales and Selling
- Be knowledgeable about products, programs and pricing (Yoga, workshops,Teacher Training, MyYogaWorks, Retail) as well as competitive products to actively promote and sell ours to all visitors (including giving tours)
- Meet and exceed sales goals as established by Manager(s) and effectively launch new students with smart/effective schedule to meet consumer’s personal goals while juggling their schedules to find a habit-forming pattern of studio usage
- Responsible for responding to leads and generating leads through proactive and effective marketing to target consumers in local areas (e.g. telephone campaign, grassroots, company outreach, door hangers in local areas), soliciting referrals. Must meet monthly minimum call volume
- Maintain accurate, thorough and timely data/information in all appropriate systems for reporting and statistical purposes and provide additional quantitative and qualitative feedback as requested
- Studio Operations
- Keep common areas neat and clean: prepare tea area, clean studio rooms, empty trash and tidy props between classes efficiently and quickly
- Work with studio staff to support the financial goals and operational needs of the studio
- Report any issues per our procedures
- Keep the retail area looking great which includes keeping area neat and tidy but may also involve re-merchandising products to attract customer’s attention. Receive and transfer merchandise as appropriate. Pro-actively watch for theft to avoid shrinkage.
- Follows and upholds Employee Handbook and all other guidelines including but not limited to: Customer Service Guidelines, Dress Code Guidelines, Core Values, etc.
- Any other tasks required to help company meet its goals
Qualifications and Experience
- Two (2) years of sales experience with proven track record of exceeding sales goals
- Proven experience in generating and follow up on leads
- Experience working in retail, yoga, fitness, and/or health industry a plus
- Highly energetic, positive and enthusiastic team player
- Comfortable and effective in a sales role with sales and call volume goals which also requires listening to clients, positioning products and asking for the sale with confidence and enthusiasm
- Ability to multi-task and function in a fast-paced environment, often with changing priorities given students entering and exiting the studios at similar times
- Passion for the product we sell (i.e. yoga/fitness) and ability to understand and clearly communicate the different products/programs we offer
- Must be customer focused and deliver company’s high level of customer service at all times in a professional, courteous, sensitive and friendly manner
- Ability to stay calm at all times and act respectfully and professionally, even with customers who may become angry or raise their voices
- Dependable, accountable and responsible with excellent attendance and punctuality
- Proactive problem solver; detail-oriented
- Self motivated; flexible
- Comfortable with computers and effective at learning and using the necessary software products (i.e. Mind Body Online, email, Google documents, spreadsheets,etc)
This position does not supervise any direct reports.
This job primarily operates in a yoga studio but marketing to community will likely involve walking/driving nearby to generate leads/sales.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work hours that exceed eight hours per day and/or 40 hours per week including nights and weekends, especially during peak activity periods.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for up to four hours at a time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to bend and carry files/products/boxes in order to organize as well as prepare for meetings and events. This job requires the person to climb up and down flights of stairs as elevators are not present at all locations. May be asked to occasionally lift a box of up to 10 pound or load a ream of paper into the copier which requires lifting and/or bending.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust and focus.
- Strong verbal skills (proficient in English)
- Must be able to effectively hear in person and via telephone.
YogaWorks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, YogaWorks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time with or without notice.
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Flexibility: Inspired to perform well when granted the ability to set your own schedule and goals
2 years: Sales
1 year: Retail or Yoga
1 year: Customer Service