JOB TITLE: PAYROLL SPECIALIST
Reports to: Payroll/HR Manager
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
About the Company
We believe yoga is for everybody and it is our mission to help people lead healthier lives by helping people connect their minds and their bodies to center themselves and achieve a sense of calm. Our highly trained, passionate teachers and staff make yoga accessible to people of all ages and abilities in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment that is community-oriented. Our first studio opened 30 years ago and we are expanding, primarily through the acquisition of new studios. To help fund our growth, we completed an initial public offering and are the first yoga instruction to be publicly traded (NASDAQ: YOGA). We are a people-oriented business and offer students an amazing service year-round. Corporate and regional teams support our studio teams who both deliver our unique, authentic, high quality experience and drive the important sales and marketing efforts that build our local communities. Additional programming of workshops, teacher training and our online video subscription service, MyYogaWorks.com, round out our offering.
About the Role
The Payroll Specialist will be a key member of the team that is involved in all aspects of payroll administration for multi-state teachers, studio staff and headquarters. In addition to processing payroll this role will research and answer questions from the field, process adjustments, and assist with tax reporting and setup. Work performed involves discretion and independent judgment based on experience and/or knowledge of policies, procedures, contracts and federal/state regulations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure biweekly payroll is processed accurately and timely
- Reconcile payroll prior to transmission and validate/balance reports
- Complete all multiple worksite reports for assigned geographical region
- Process tax change requests and set up wage garnishments
- Execute time and attendance processing, reporting and interface with payroll
- Perform compliances for unclaimed property payroll checks
- Assist with processing year-end reporting when necessary (W-2, W-2c, etc)
- Issue manual checks as required
- Calculate and run off-cycle bonuses as requested
- Reconcile monthly bank statement transactions related to payroll processing
- Develop in depth understanding of our systems to be able to create Ad-Hoc reports as requested
- Respond to pay related employee questions; resolve queries and discrepancies regarding any paycheck inquiries
- Communicate with the HR Department to ensure the integrity of the payroll data including data related to new hires, terminations, transfers and rate changes
- Assist with teacher rate increases and calculating retro pay
- Process sick and vacation requests
- Other duties that may be assigned to help company meet goals
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Business Administration/Finance/Accounting a plus
- 3 years of experience in a Payroll Office performing all payroll
- Experience working with a payroll size of 2,000 or more employees is preferred
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices, wage and hours laws, & federal and state regulations
- Strong PC skills including proficiency in Excel (including VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables, and Macros)
- Strong skills understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated payroll system
- Strong working knowledge of timekeeping systems, UlitPro, and Oracle Cloud
- Strong interpersonal (verbal and written) communication skills.
- Strong sense of customer service
- Positive and enthusiastic team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Customer focused and able to deliver a high level of customer service at all times
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Organizational, multi-tasking, strong attention to detail and prioritizing skills
This position does not supervise direct reports.
This job primarily operates in an office environment but may involve work within the community and/or visiting studios. Not all locations have elevators or offer physically-disabled access. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work hours that exceed eight hours per day and/or 40 hours per week including nights and weekends, especially during peak activity periods.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for up to four hours at a time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to bend and carry files/products/boxes in order to organize as well as prepare for meetings and events. This job requires the person to climb up and down flights of stairs as elevators are not present at all locations. May be asked to occasionally lift a box of up to 10 pound or load a ream of paper into the copier which requires lifting and/or bending.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust and focus.
- Strong verbal skills (proficient in English)
- Must be able to effectively hear in person and via telephone.
YogaWorks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, YogaWorks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time with or without notice.
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Loyal: Shows firm and constant support to a cause
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
Flexibility: Inspired to perform well when granted the ability to set your own schedule and goals
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Associates or better in Finance or related field.
3-4 years: Experience in Payroll Office performing all payroll functions and processing multi-state payroll
Experience working with a payroll size of 2,000 or more employees