IRONMAN is the world’s premier endurance sports brand consisting of more than 230 events in 53 countries across 8 brands in triathlon, cycling, running and mountain biking.
In 1978 During an awards banquet for the Waikiki Swim Club, John Collins, a Naval Officer stationed in Hawai`i, and his fellow athletes began debating which athletes were the fittest: swimmers, bikers, or runners. On February 18, 1978, 15 competitors, including Collins, came to the shores of Waikiki to take on the first-ever IRONMAN challenge – 12 finished the first event.
In 1980 founders John and Judy Collins gave ABC’s “Wide World of Sports” permission to film the event, bringing worldwide recognition to IRONMAN. Only two years later college student Julie Moss collapses just yards from the IRONMAN World Championship finish line. She is passed for the title but does not give up; she crawls to the finish line, unknowingly creating one of the most iconic moments in IRONMAN history.
Today, hundreds of thousands of triathletes from around the world have challenged themselves to prove to friends, loved ones, and even just themselves that “Anything is Possible”.
THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN
IRONMAN is currently reimagining all digital platforms and content. How that content is produced, why it’s produced and shifting distribution to digital platforms beyond broadcast. This is seen most evidently in our Facebook Watch live race coverage and ever evolving social media content. You will be a contributor assisting our core team of content producers, directors and editors. There will be ample opportunity to sit in production meetings and strategy sessions, learning from experienced digital strategists and content producers who have sports backgrounds from the NBA, NFL, MLB and other major organizations.
- Work across IRONMAN brands IRONMAN and the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series.
- Observe, train, participate, and gain hands-on knowledge and experience of the production of live events and studio programming for IRONMAN and Rock n Roll Marathons.
- Create content for our digital platforms including the IRONMAN App, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Collaborate in the creative and editorial development of elements produced by our Content Team.
- Help organize and create content that will be used across all IRONMAN social media platforms.
- Assist in gathering analytics from various digital platforms.
- Work with a wide variety of internal departments including Operations, Marketing, Global Partnerships, Public Relations, IRONMAN Foundation, Athlete Services.
- Proactive, creative, enthusiastic and adaptable.
- Knowledge of Adobe suite of tools including Premiere.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to provide administrative support as needed.
- Internships are in Tampa, FL at the global headquarters of IRONMAN. Selected students must be willing to relocate or commute at their own expense.
- Proper work authorization is needed to be employed within the United States.
- Must be able to commit at least 30 hours a week for duration of Internship – may include some late hours and weekends
- Have a genuine interest in Sports production or Social Media content creation.
- Preferably has interest in Triathlon or other endurance sports
Knowledge of Spanish language is a plus.
- Gain experience and work for a major premium sports brand
- An opportunity to work and network with a great team of enthusiastic, award-winning professionals that are passionate about the same field.
- Possible opportunity to travel to deliver on-site support for certain races
- Get to know IRONMAN beyond Triathlon including Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, Cape Epic, Velothon
Internships are typically awarded to rising college juniors or seniors, but all applicants will be considered. Spring 2019 Intern program dates as flexible, typically starting January through May 31. Relocation is not provided. Participation in the internship program is reserved for students who are currently enrolled or within 6 months of graduation.