Location: USA (remote), travel to race site across the United States (and potentially international) required.
Founded in 2010, Spartan Race is the global leader in the sport of obstacle racing. Spartan races cater to individuals looking to test their physical limits and change their frame of reference for what they can accomplish, from everyday people looking to get off the couch and lead a fitter lifestyle, to elite endurance athletes who seek the ultimate physical test.
Reporting to the Director of Build Operations and the Senior Manager of Build Operations, this person is responsible for the successful planning of all construction-related resources and logistics needed to produce a Spartan Race. Working side-by-side with the Race Director and Race Project Manager, the Construction Manager plays a key leadership role in planning, managing, and reconciling the event.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Race Director during the event layout design process to ensure a high-impact, feasible, and cost-effective plan from a construction standpoint.
- Identify the logistics and resources needed based on the design of the event. This includes staff, local labor, trailers / shipments, material and supplies, as well as equipment.
- Source, negotiate-with and hire local vendors for excavation, general contracting and water solutions.
- Determine costs for materials, rentals and labor. Track performance against budget before and after event.
- Ensure all obstacles for a specific race are designed to acceptable standards (size, build quality) with racer safety, racer throughput, and local building code being the key drivers.
- File for permits as needed and work closely with permitting agencies and engineers to review or modify plans and blueprints specific to each venue and event.
- Develop the race-specific build sheet which summarizes all build-specific details for the construction team as well as sets a project timetable through a daily schedule and task list.
- Complete all purchase order documents and trackers, communicating to procurement and vendors specific resources needed to produce the event.
- Oversee reservations and invoices of rentals for accuracy and possible savings.
- Assist the Race Director in a timely pre-race communication to the construction and logistics staff covering all information needed to produce the event.
- Support all innovation efforts by contributing new ideas and concepts around obstacle designs and process improvements.
On site Responsibilities:
- Supervise all construction staff, laborers, equipment operations, heavy machinery operators, construction, and trailer loading and unloading process during entire cycle (from load-in through load-out).
- Allocate labor, equipment, and teams to ensure job is completed on or before schedule.
- Maintain working dialogue with all onsite and corporate leadership to address concerns or obstacles to achieving daily goals.
- Oversee the inventory, packing, and loading of all items into the trailers for shipping to next event.
- Provide leadership, management, and motivation to ensure that construction staff work with maximum efficiency and complete work within timelines.
- Communicate with Delivery Inventory Manager, Base Camp Manager, Festival Manager, and Race Director to ensure that rental items are utilized, maintained, and returned as they were intended.
- Assist Race Director and Festival Manager to ensure safe and successful race and festival operations.
- Fill out, distribute and review the daily build sheet (adapt daily plan as necessary based on completion status, weather, materials, crew experience, etc.)
- Maintain running record of build completion status.
- Represent build in all leadership meetings and collaborate with other onsite leadership to effectively utilize resources (e.g. machinery, volunteers, etc.)
- Ensure all plumbing, water solutions and earth work is completed prior to the event and remediated after the event.
- Ensure completion of all in-market materials purchases (either go yourself or delegate to someone who has bandwidth and knowledge to purchase correct items)
- Support other functions of event set-up as needed.
- Have 1+ year experience as a Construction Site Manager or Foreman on a construction site overseeing management of teams and completion of projects.
- Have significant hands-on construction experience.
- Willingness and ability to travel 100 days or more during the year and 11+ days at a time.
- Ability to frequently work 10-15+ hour days in outdoor, adverse conditions for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrate full range of movement including but not limited to lifting, standing, bending, reaching, twisting, and crawling.
- Ability to occasionally lift, push, pull, and move equipment and material weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to regularly stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Have a proven attention to detail yet the ability to manage from a high level and often change from one task to another of a different nature.
- Possess a strong analytical mindset and approach to managing projects and problem solving.
- Thrive in an environment where process and doctrine are the backbone for success.
- Have exemplary decision making, management, communication, technical plan reading, and time-management skills.
- Be proficient with the entire Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) and cloud based computing software packages (Google Drive, Egnyte, etc)
- College degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or Architecture, preferred.
Qualities required of all Spartan team members:
Spartan Race is a high-performance organization, and successful team members must therefore possess a strong work ethic and hands-on approach to business. We are innovative, create inventive solutions, and are exceptionally service minded. Team members at Spartan change lives and have a passion for the organization. Paramount to our organization is the maturity to embrace ambiguity and ability to adapt according to the market and the continuing innovation of the organization.
- Ability to hold one-self accountable and an aptitude for prioritizing multiple projects
- Strong sense of teamwork with the ability to foster relationships
- Proactive, solutions-oriented; capability to identify efficiencies and decrease costs while maintaining a quality workplace environment and product
- Collegial approach to a business environment and cooperative work style
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills