GENERAL SUMMARY: The Staff Accountant maintains and controls the General Ledger and business transactions of the organization, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end operations of the Accounting/ Finance Department including general ledger reconciliations, and budget review and analysis.
- Manage the processing of posting cash receipts, recording of revenue and receivables and work closely with the Operations Team to ensure that revenues and receivables are reconciled with sales data at any given time.
- Review and process Corporate Card expense reports and receipts submitted by cardholders on monthly basis.
- Perform the processing of functional and benefits expense allocations, monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary.
- Prepare and analyze the monthly budget/forecast to actual variance reports.
- Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations, including bank statements, fixed assets, inventory, accruals and prepaid expenses.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as monthly financial statements, budget performance, and interim financial reporting.
- Work effectively and efficiently in cross-functional departments including Sales and Operations.
- Consistently review accounting procedures and suggest ideas to improve processes.
The Senior Accountant will report directly to the Controller and will work cross functionally with all members of the Accounting and Finance team. This position will also partner closely with other business leaders.
1) Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Knowledge of Statutory accounting principles.
- Strong analytical and accounting skills.
- Microsoft Excel skills to include: VLookup, pivot tables, external linking.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of major accounting software packages for both general ledger and statutory accounting. Great Plains experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with high level of difficulty.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to demonstrate and maintain a friendly, enthusiastic and positive attitude.
- Understands and follows oral and written instructions. Communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses strong organizational skills. Understands basic record keeping practices and procedures. Demonstrates the ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Organization, attention to detail and the ability to analyze data.
2) Required Experience:
- B.A. in Business, Accounting or Finance
- 2-3 years accounting experience required
- Excellent PC skills, Microsoft and advanced Excel highly desired. Knowledge of Great Plains application a plus
- Critical thinking, problem-solving ability and high attention to detail required
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment
3) Physical Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for up to 8 hours. The employee occasionally sits, walks, kneels and reaches with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 10 lbs