Job Title: Studio Manager
Reports to: District Manager
About the Company
We believe yoga is for everybody and it is our mission to help people lead healthier lives by helping people connect their minds and their bodies to center themselves and achieve a sense of calm. Our highly trained, passionate teachers and staff make yoga accessible to people of all ages and abilities in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment that is community-oriented. Our first studio opened 30 years ago and we are expanding, primarily through the acquisition of new studios. To help fund our growth, we completed an initial public offering and are the first yoga instruction to be publicly traded (NASDAQ: YOGA). We are a people-oriented business and offer students an amazing service year-round. Corporate and regional teams support our studio teams who both deliver our unique, authentic, high quality experience and drive the important sales and marketing efforts that build our local communities. Additional programming of workshops, teacher training and our online video subscription service, MyYogaWorks.com, round out our offering.
About the Role
The Studio Manager is responsible for delivering the studio P&L and for all studio operations on a daily basis(studios are typically open every day and often for 12-15 hours/day). The successful candidate must enjoy being involved with customers, must enjoy sales/selling and must love what they do which is helping people reach their personal goals through yoga.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for overall P&L of studio as well as all staff and operations.
- Hire, train, supervise, coach and mentor all studio staff.
- Motivate,guide and lead the team to achieve monthly, quarterly and annual sales goals and all levels of customer service.
- Organize and lead weekly, monthly and quarterly staff meetings
- Responsible for driving all revenue and target goals for studio (e.g. classes, privates, retail, training/workshop as required).
- Collaborate with regional team and home office on studio promotions, class types, teacher feedback and other events to create relevant programming and marketing.
- Effectively manage studio budget.
- Oversee studio maintenance (proactively and as issues arise)
- Ensure the studio is kept clean and orderly and safety standards are enforced.
- Insure all compliance and company policies/procedures are enforced.
- Act as an ambassador for company products and services in the community.
- Other duties required to help company meet its goals.
Student Interaction/Customer Service
- Provide excellent customer service and help reduce attrition and increase retention through active interactions as appropriate and through leading by example.
- Actively assist students and direct staff to do the same to finding appropriate classes to meet their personal goals and within schedules, answering their questions (or find the answers to questions if not known), always offering support and guidance.
- Check students into class/workshop/etc through software system (MindyBody Online or equivalent systems) when needed, completing all paperwork/forms as appropriate.
- POversee all billing issues (contracts, cancellations, freezes, failed credit cards, etc)
- Resolve Customer Service issues per training documents and procedures.
- Welcome all visitors according to our Customer Service standards; supervise staff and answer telephone promptly and courteously.
Sales and Marketing
- Be knowledgeable about our products/programs, competitive products/programs and pricing to actively promote and sell ours.
- Responsible for generating leads, soliciting referrals and meeting individual monthly sales goals (revenue and units) and helping team meet its goals for a combined studio goal. Sales includes class packs/memberships, retail, and ancillary products as outlined each year.
- Maintain accurate, thorough and timely data/information in all appropriate systems for reporting and statistical purposes.
- Effectively market and sell our products via telephone, grassroots efforts, in studio tours, etc, filling out all paperwork, trackers and forms as appropriate.
- Establish external relationships/partnerships within the community. Develop community events and conduct grassroots marketing efforts to raise awareness and drive traffic to studios.
- Work with marketing to develop effective marketing campaigns (e.g. direct marketing, social media, etc).
- Schedule staff per budget and needs of studio.
- Responsible for updating MBO system with teacher subs/class changes in a timely manner.
- Responsible for recommending ordering of supplies and working with vendors.
- Report any issues per our procedures.
- Responsible for scheduling and overseeing the pilates and yoga privates program, as appropriate.
- Keep the retail area looking great which includes keeping area neat and tidy but also re-merchandising products to attract customer’s attention. Receive and transfer merchandise as appropriate. Pro-actively watch for theft to avoid shrinkage.
- Follows and uphold Employee Handbook and all other guidelines including but not limited to: Customer Service Guidelines, Dress Code Guidelines, Core Values, etc.
- 2-3 years in a supervisory role
- Experience supervising people successfully
- Effective use of budgets, forecasts, P&Ls, metrics
- Experience working in retail and/or yoga/gym industry a plus
- High school degree, college degree preferred
- Strong team player who understands corporate goals and can apply those to studio goals, motivating employees to reach individual and team goals within given timelines and constraints.
- Highly energetic, positive and enthusiastic leader with strong interpersonal skills to effectively lead the team to meet goals.
- Ability to multi-task and function in a fast-paced environment, often with changing priorities given needs of students, business and management.
- Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects with different budgets, vendors and timelines.
- Comfortable and effective in a sales role with sales and call volume goals which also requires listening to clients, positioning products and asking for the sale with confidence and enthusiasm
- Dependable and accountable with strong sense of urgency
- Experience resolving employee and/or customer conflicts in a positive, professional and timely manner such that even difficult news is delivered in a way that people may not like but understand the reason behind it and appreciate the professional and courteous delivery
- Self-starter who also has a flexible schedule and strong work ethic to manage a studio that is open 365 days/year, often 12-15 hours/day
- Must be customer focused and deliver company’s high level of customer service at all times in a professional, courteous, sensitive and friendly manner.
- Ability to lead by example and stay calm at all times, acting/speaking respectfully, appropriately and courteously with customers and/or employees who may become angry or raise their voices.
- Strong written and verbal skills and ability to tailor communications based on audience and needs of business for both short and long-term results
- Passion for the product we sell (i.e. yoga/fitness) and ability to understand and clearly communicate the different products/programs we offer.
- Comfortable with computers and effective at learning and using the necessary software products (i.e. Mind Body Online, email, Google documents, spreadsheets,etc)
This position directly supervises all staff personnel (Greeters, Customer Service Managers, Yoga Advisors) as well as be the liaison with external vendors. S/he is responsible for hiring, training, mentoring employees. Company may change reporting structures based on business needs or growth.
This job operates primarily in a yoga studio but will also include selling and marketing in the local community. Not all locations have elevators or offer physically-disabled access. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week including nights and weekends, especially during peak activity periods.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for up to 4 hours at a time; use hands to finger, handle, reach or feel and talk or hear. The employee is sometimes required to bend, lift and occasionally carry items up to 20 pounds. This job often requires climbing staircases as elevators are not present at all locations.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and ability to adjust and focus.
- Must be able to hear and speak effectively in English.
YogaWorks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, YogaWorks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time with or without notice.
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
Flexibility: Inspired to perform well when granted the ability to set your own schedule and goals
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
2-3 years: Management
Experience working in Retail or Yoga
2-3 years: Effective use of budgets, forecasts, P&L’s, metrics