Job Title: Teacher Manager
Reports to: Regional Manager
About the Company
We believe yoga is for everybody and it is our mission to help people lead healthier lives by helping people connect their minds and their bodies to center themselves and achieve a sense of calm. Our highly trained, passionate teachers and staff make yoga accessible to people of all ages and abilities in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment that is community-oriented. Our first studio opened 30 years ago and we are expanding, primarily through the acquisition of new studios. To help fund our growth, we completed an initial public offering and are the first yoga instruction to be publicly traded (NASDAQ: YOGA). We are a people-oriented business and offer students an amazing service year-round. Corporate and regional teams support our studio teams who both deliver our unique, authentic, high quality experience and drive the important sales and marketing efforts that build our local communities. Additional programming of workshops, teacher training and our online video subscription service, MyYogaWorks.com, round out our offering.
About the Role
The Teacher Manager is responsible for developing a schedule of classes that both meets the needs of the studio and students as well as helps develop a solid roster of teachers and guest teachers for a rich program. The role must balance budgets, teachers and schedules with a variety of compelling class types to deliver strong visits that are incremental to regular class visits for a thriving yoga community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hire, train, supervise, coach and mentor teachers and teacher substitutes for all programming (classes, privates, pilates, fitness, workshops, etc)
- Partners with Regional and Studio Managers (as applicable) to successfully create and manage a thriving class schedule that delivers a strong gross margin
- Meet with VP, Programming to work on cross regional issues, we also work together to offer themed classes and develop new content, as applicable
- Monitors class attendance on a regular basis, recommending programming changes to drive overall visits and studio performance within budget
- Point of contact for all teachers and teacher-related matters and is responsive in a timely manner to support personnel and business
- Responsible for helping to build the teacher community in the region and indirectly help build the student community
- Responsible for submitting all teacher personnel updates
- Partners with Regional Manager to conduct performance reviews with teachers
- Organize and execute teacher meetings, trainings, communications and events
- Responsible for resolving personnel issues and conflicts in coordination with Regional Manager and/or HR
- Champion YogaWorks culture by upholding the company’s mission, core values and leading by example
- Any other tasks required to meet company goals
- Minimum 1 years of experience leading, managing and building teams, schedules and content
- Must be a graduate of a 200-hr Teacher Training program and/or have an equivalent level of interest in yoga and knowledge of and experience with various styles of yoga to effectively communicate/mentor teachers and successfully build an effective class.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to build relationships with teachers and staff
- Experience coaching and developing staff and effectively implanting all policies and procedures and resolving personnel issues (in conjunction with Supervisor and HR as appropriate)
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail, juggling multiple schedules and rosters of teachers in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated strong business judgment and decision-making skills; ability to identify, prioritize, and articulate highest impact initiatives
- Passion for yoga, fitness & wellness
- Strong computer skills to communicate (e.g. email) as well as to analyze results and make solid recommendations based on data (e.g. Attendance data and budgets in MS Excel)
This position directly supervises Teachers, but may also need to help with all staff personnel (Studio Managers, Greeters, Yoga Advisors) as well as be the liaison with external vendors. S/he is responsible for hiring, training, mentoring employees. Company may change reporting structures based on business needs or growth.
This position works in all studios in the region. Not all locations have elevators or offer physically-disabled access. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week including nights and weekends, especially during peak activity periods as approved by manager.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for up to 4 hours at a time; use hands to finger, handle, reach or feel and talk or hear. The employee is sometimes required to bend, lift and occasionally carry items up to 20 pounds. This job often requires climbing staircases as elevators are not present at all locations.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and ability to adjust and focus.
- Must be able to hear and speak effectively in English.
YogaWorks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, YogaWorks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time with or without notice.
Must be a graduate of a 200-hr Teacher Training program and/or have an equivalent level of interest in yoga and knowledge of and experience with various styles of yoga to effectively communicate/mentor teachers and successfully build an effective class.
1 year: Experience leading, managing and building teams, schedules and content